Friday, April 17, 2015

Digging out the front flower bed

I had an extra holiday I could use at work and so spent the day today working in my yard free of distractions from husband or baby. The flower bed I'm working on has needed some attention since we moved into our house. The original owners had put down black fabric and then wood chip mulch which is a terrible idea. The wood chips decomposed and created dirt and the weeds used the black fabrics to anchor themselves.

You can see how when I pulled up some of the black fabric the plants stay attached. They are actually really hard to pull out even when the only thing they are rooted to is the fabric.
I put the extra dirt up in the second terrace of my garden, which has needed some good black dirt as I don't think it was originally used as garden and so is composed of primarily clay soil.
After four hours, this is as far as I got. I forget how much work moving that much dirt can be. I was hoping the have the whole bed dug down to the stone wall level today. Oh well, we'll have to finish it up another weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment