Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Strawberries and Mulch

I planted strawberries for the first time last year, and nurtured them all year. I picked off flowers and runners and all the things you are supposed to do the first year for strawberries. Except mulch them. I was very pregnant by the time mulching season came around and then I had a newborn, and I didn't have any straw or pine needles readily available. Which led to most of my strawberry plants looking like the picture below instead of the picture above.
The strawberries are in the same garden bed as my garlic, which I've also forgotten to mulch before, but the garlic always came up in the spring. So did all my other plants which they say you are supposed to mulch and I never did. Turns out I don't get a pass on mulching, and now I'm regretting not taking the time to get some straw and throw it down last year. Oh well, I've got four strawberry plants still alive, and at the rate they were throwing out runners last year I should be able to get my strawberry bed back up to operating capacity this year or next.

No comments:

Post a Comment