Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Spring Vegetable Seedlings


My spring vegetable seedlings are all doing nicely. Now that the low temperatures are above freezing I can leave my them outside so the peppers and tomatoes have more light. (I need another set of grow lights).
My setup has four shelves and I have four lights, but I realized last year that the seedlings grew much better with two lights hung side by side above them rather than just one.
Besides having the extra space inside, the main reason these are on the deck is to harden them off. It is important to acclimate seedlings to being outside before you go to plant them. For the first day, I set them out in the shade on a warm afternoon. Then the next day I left them out from the morning to the night. After that I let them have more sun, and now they are outside all the time as long as temperatures are above 34 degrees. (Note that that low temperature depends on the plants, these are all cold hardy and would probably be fine even if it frosted).

No comments:

Post a Comment